OUR CALL FOR SPEAKERS IS NOW OPEN!
For more information, go here
Deadline to submit your application: 22nd of February
What is Soapbox Science?
Soapbox Science is an annual public science communication event that transforms public areas into an arena for public learning and scientific debate. The event follows the format of London Hyde Park’s Speaker’s Corner, which is historically an arena for public debate. With Soapbox Science, we want to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy, learn from, heckle, question, probe, interact with and be inspired by some of our leading scientists. At Soapbox Science, there is no middle man, no powerpoint slide, no amphitheater – there are just remarkable scientists who are there to amaze you with their latest discoveries, and to answer the science questions you have been burning to ask. Look out for bat simulators, fake breasts or giant pictures of volcanoes. Or simply hear them talk about what fascinates them, and why they think they have the most fantastic job in the world!
What happened so far?
2014 was an exciting year for us. We ran our 4th annual London event on The SouthBank at the end of June. In addition, we established new events in different cities around the UK and Ireland, including Bristol, Dublin and Swansea. This marked the beginning of Soapbox Science expansion, providing opportunities for women all over the UK to get on their soapbox and tell the world about their work. It also widened our audience, which until now has been restricted to London. This year, our initiative is spreading even further, with events in London, Swansea, Belfast, Bristol, Exeter, Newcastle and Glasgow.
Who are we?
We are Drs Seirian Sumner and Nathalie Pettorelli, the co-organisers of Soapbox Science. We are both research biologists, based in the United Kingdom.
Dr Seirian Sumner – Evolutionary biologist and behavioural ecologist; specialises in social evolution and social behaviour in insects (bees, wasps & ants) http://www.bristol.ac.uk/biology/people/seirian-r-sumner/index.html
Dr Nathalie Pettorelli – Ecologist interested in global environmental change and its impact on biodiversity and ecosystem services http://www.zsl.org/nathaliepettorelli
Funders & Sponsors
We couldn’t run these events without the generous logistical and financial support of our sponsors and funders. Our London events are supported by L’Oreal UNESCO For Women In Science Scheme. We are fortunate to also have the logistical support of our colleagues at the Zoological Society of London.
Want to contact us?
* Drop us an email at email@example.com for any general inquiry or if you have any questions about our events in London
* Drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, if you are interested in our events in Belfast
* Drop an email to email@example.com, if you are interested in our events in Swansea
* Drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, if you are interested in our events in Bristol
* Drop an email to email@example.com, if you are interested in our events in Exeter
* Drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, if you are interested in our events in Newcastle
* Drop an email to email@example.com, if you are interested in our events in Glasgow