Our 2015 events
This year, the year of our fifth anniversary, our initiative is spreading even further, with events in London (30th Of May, SouthBank), Swansea (6th of June), Belfast (20th of June), Bristol (7th of June), Exeter (13th of June), Newcastle (27th of June) and Glasgow (7th of June).
What is Soapbox Science?
Soapbox Science is a novel public outreach platform for promoting women scientists and the science they do. Our events transform public areas into an arena for public learning and scientific debate; they follow the format of London Hyde Park’s Speaker’s Corner, which is historically an arena for public debate. With Soapbox Science, we want to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy, learn from, heckle, question, probe, interact with and be inspired by some of our leading scientists. No middle man, no powerpoint slide, no amphitheater – just remarkable women in science who are there to amaze you with their latest discoveries, and to answer the science questions you have been burning to ask. Look out for bat simulators, fake breasts or giant pictures of volcanoes. Or simply hear them talk about what fascinates them, and why they think they have the most fantastic job in the world!
What happened so far?
2014 was an exciting year for us. We ran our 4th annual London event on The SouthBank at the end of June. In addition, we established new events in different cities around the UK and Ireland, including Bristol, Dublin and Swansea. This marked the beginning of Soapbox Science expansion, providing opportunities for women all over the UK to get on their soapbox and tell the world about their work. It also widened our audience, which until 2013 had been restricted to London.
Who are we?
We are Drs Seirian Sumner and Nathalie Pettorelli, the co-organisers of Soapbox Science. We are both research biologists, based in the United Kingdom.
Dr Seirian Sumner – Evolutionary biologist and behavioural ecologist; specialises in social evolution and social behaviour in insects (bees, wasps & ants) http://www.bristol.ac.uk/biology/people/seirian-r-sumner/index.html
Dr Nathalie Pettorelli – Ecologist interested in global environmental change and its impact on biodiversity and ecosystem services http://www.zsl.org/nathaliepettorelli
Funders & Sponsors
We couldn’t run these events without the generous logistical and financial support of our sponsors and funders. Our events have been supported from the start by the L’Oreal UNESCO For Women In Science Scheme and the Zoological Society of London.
Since 2014, our whole initiative is moreover supported by STFC.
Want to contact us?
* Drop us an email at email@example.com for any general inquiry or if you have any questions about our events in London
* Drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, if you are interested in our events in Belfast
* Drop an email to email@example.com, if you are interested in our events in Swansea
* Drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, if you are interested in our events in Bristol
* Drop an email to email@example.com, if you are interested in our events in Exeter
* Drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, if you are interested in our events in Newcastle
* Drop an email to email@example.com, if you are interested in our events in Glasgow